Bobby Jindal has become the new Governor of Louisiana. In order to understand why is this important to anyone outside of Louisiana, consider the following points, in combination :
1) Bobby Jindal is only 36 years old, and has become one of the youngest ever Governors in US history. Prior to this, he has served in the US House of Representatives, was a Rhodes Scholar, and was employed at McKinsey & Company. His success in so many different areas reflects deep intelligence and competence, rather than just a fluke.
2) As Governor of a medium-sized state, he has gained an Executive Branch position, and thus has already accomplished more towards creating a Presidential resume than Barack Obama, 10 years his senior, has. Barack Obama has just 4 years of Senate experience and no executive experience. Note that no US President has been elected without Executive (either Governor or VP) experience in the last 11 elections since John F. Kennedy in 1960.
3) That he could win so handily on a GOP ticket in Louisiana shows that whatever perceived disadvantages he may have had for being a Catholic, or for being non-white, were not barriers. In other words, if he can win there, he can win over a majority of America.
4) As by far the most prominent Indian-American in US politics, he has exclusivity in garnering political support from what is the highest-income ethnic group in the US. This elevates the visibility of a dark-skinned group that has a higher average income than whites, and thus reduces self-limiting perceptions of imagined 'racism' that many minorities still hold. This also grants the GOP a pathway to conduct a campaign to attract high-income, fiscally and socially conservative minorities, which the GOP presently does a shockingly poor job of.
5) India is one of the most pro-US countries in the world, and is also a rare country that is more supportive of Republican politicians than America itself is (very few people know this). Indo-US ties are the most rapidly widening economic and political ties between any two large countries in the world today, and with the Indian economy set to grow at 8-11% a year for the next 13 years, Indo-US trade will amount to as much as $400 Billion by 2020 (from $32 Billion in 2006, and just $5 Billion in 1990). Bobby Jindal is already a household name in India, and thus is superbly positioned to maximize this imminent wave of Indo-US geopolitical alignment and economic integration.
6) I repeat, he is only 36 years old. How much had any of the big name politicians of our era accomplished at that age? He has 20 years to go before he is even 56, and thus has ample time to lay the groundwork for multiple shots at the Presidency or Vice Presidency.
However, there is still along way to go, and the path is strewn with many traps and pitfalls. In order to advance to the highest echelon, Bobby Jindal has to work on the following three things :
1) Oversee the reconstruction and recovery of New Orleans into a city that is better than it ever was before. This is a monumental challenge, but success here will immediately receive nationwide applause. This is the accomplishment that he could ride to the Presidency.
2) Honing his speaking skills. While a competent speaker, he is not as electrifying at the big occasion as Barack Obama is, and this does matter immensely. This is a learnable skill, however, that almost anyone can gain through diligent practice.
3) Stay as scandal-free as possible over a very long period. One scandal can derail higher political ambitions permanently.
When Bobby Jindal rises to national prominence as a Presidential candidate at some point between 2016 and 2036, remember what you read here on The Futurist in October of 2007, and observe how a unique convergence of multiple megatrends elevated an unlikely man to the greatest heights of political power.